Mazda brings back rotary engine as EV range-extender
Mazda has announced plans to introduce its first electric vehicles in 2020 as part of its Sustainable Zoom-Zoom 2030 programme. Initially, one will be powered solely by a battery while the other will be coupled with Mazda’s small, lightweight and quiet rotary engine as a range extender.
Mazda had discontinued its rotary engine line seven years ago as they are more prone to wear and tear and they struggled to meet emissions regulations. Used as a range-extender, Mazda appears to have found a way to counter these issues.
The Sustainable Zoom-Zoom 2030 programme builds on Mazda’s ambition that 95% of all vehicles produced in 2030 will include some form of electrification while battery-electric vehicles will account for the remaining 5%.